Saturday, October 7, 2017

MS. M'S MATERIALS - WONDERSTRUCK!

Shop your local indie bookstore.
I recently had the opportunity to watch the Wonderstruck movie. I loved the casting choices and thought the different actors gave stellar performances. Overall the movie does not flow as well as the book and so once again I say, please read the book first! When I used this book in my classroom the movie was not out yet and I made my own DVD including David Bowie's Space Oddity video. Now you can include viewing the movie as a culminating activity. Here's a link to Brian Selznick's Wonderstruck page.
One of my favorite activities after reading Wonderstruck with my 4th and 5th grade students was making Museum Books. The Museum Books had 4 rooms that they curated to explain their topic. Student topics included New York City in 1977, Lightning Safety, The Panorama Museum and the Gunflint Lake Region. I shared my own model of the book as we read Wonderstruck and they couldn't wait to do their own. Museum Books can be created for many different books or research  projects. Contact me for more information.
One of the rooms in my model.




No comments:

Post a Comment