Friday, October 6, 2017

COLUMBUS DAY WEEKEND

Source: The International Federation of
Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
If you are a teacher, parent or involved in education in some way, the "Columbus Day Weekend," is often the first major milestone of the school year. It has nothing to do with Columbus and everything to do with a 3-day weekend. So major congrats to all for making it to this October Milestone. I truly hope you have some downtime and are able to refresh.
Shop your local indie bookstore.
The purpose of Ms. M's Mass Media is to encourage and share my passion about reading but I would be remiss if I did not take the time this month to stress that the power in reading must go hand-in-hand with considering the sources of the materials one reads. We librarians are all about media literacy [click for more info].
When it comes to Columbus or any piece of history since Columbus, reading Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States is a must. There are critiques about the book that I would also encourage you to pursue once you've read the book. If you are an educator, consider the resources found on the Zinn Education Project website. Howard Zinn died in 2010, but the book that originally came out in the 1980's has been updated. Another book, a recent read, is Trevor Noah's Born a Crime. You may recognize Trevor Noah as the host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central. I did not know what to expect when another, very highly respected librarian I know told me, "this book is amazing, you have to read it!" Not only that, but I got it for FREE as one of my two free books for signing up on Audible.com. Yes, I like to listen to books too! I've provided the link to Audible as well below. Both of these books are available and listening to books is very enjoyable. Happy 3-day weekend to all!
Shop your local indie bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment