Saturday, May 6, 2017

We're Collectors!

Buy me here!
My second graders finished their unit on collections by reading two more books about collections and gave many more collection presentations! We read Let's Go Rock Collecting by Roma Gans and I shared my rock collection. Did you know rocks are the oldest thing you can collect in the world?! We used another book specifically about rocks and minerals to identify my rocks and talked about how collectors label and "curate" their collections.
We also read a picture book called The Button Box by Margarette S. Reid. I also shared my button collection and we talked about the different ways collections might start.
Buy me here!
During each class different students also presented their collections. I was struck by how well the students presented their collections and the incredible questions that their classmates asked about their collections. Several of our classmates collect Pokemon Cards and were very knowledgeable about all of the cards that they had and how they wanted to build their collection. Other types of collections that were presented included rocks, shells, action figures and my favorite -- books!! Having a collection helps a child learn so many different skills. Collecting builds WONDER and CURIOSITY in a child. Collecting allows you and your child to build stories, do research and learn to take care of things that are important to them. Need some help? Check out the Smithsonian Kids Collecting Link here! Happy collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment