Sunday, January 8, 2017

First Graders Think Like a Pig?

Buy me here!
Buy me here!
We returned from winter break and started reading the Mercy Watson Series. First up, Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig by Kate DiCamillo. To introduce the Unit I asked students what they thought pigs think about. Students said, "playing in mud," "eating lots of food," and "sleeping in grass." I used the nonfiction text, Life on a Pig Farm by Judy Wolfman to reinforce background knowledge about real pigs. We then wondered what a pretend pig might do that lived in a person's house as we enjoyed reading the first four chapters of our first Mercy Watson book. Starting next week, students will also "read" the book along with me on computer. We will read the book together first and then they will go to computers and practice reading the same chapters online. If you have computer access at home, please join us in reading the series together through Tumblebooks. Go to my website at www.msmmedia.org, select Grade 1 and then Tumblebooks. Your child will be able to show you how to get to the site. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment