Monday, March 21, 2016

Will The Real Eugenia Please Stand Up




Making connections with characters and understanding character traits is a big part of my work with first graders and Ms. Witt's Strand Students. We read several books in a series and one of the series is Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson Books. There are many different goals and objectives when selecting the series books I use but lets just focus on the character of Eugenia. Eugenia is just plain cranky and does not like living next door to a pig! Her loving sister, Baby tries to reason with her, but in a perfect Eugenia moment as she dials the phone we read "I know exactly what I'm doing," said Eugenia "I am kissing that pig good-bye." The students roar with laughter.  I ask, "Is she really going to kiss the pig?" "No! She wants to get rid of the pig!" Everyone wants to be Eugenia and call the police!





No comments:

Post a Comment